Friday, March 27, 2015

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog.   I will be talking about all different kinds of things.  Right now I'm interested in chickens.  My family and I are getting new chicks in April.   We ordered them from Meyer Hatchery.  Here is a cool video of what they do at Meyer Hatchery.  

We ordered 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Easter Eggers.

My favorite is the Rhode Island Red.    The name sounds nice, they are friendly, they produce lots of brown eggs and they are cute.  

The names of my Rhode Island Reds are going to be Hope, Winter and Willow.   My moms Silver Laced Wyandottes are going to be named Henny, Penny and Peck.  My dad isn't going to name his.  

We have to get the shed ready for them to come.  We have a little while before they will be big enough to go outside.  Baby chicks need a heat lamp, chick starter and lots of fresh water.  

When the chicks are older and ready to lay eggs, I will be selling the extra eggs we get.  Keep checking back for updates on the eggs. 

Chickens are 18 weeks old when they start to lay eggs.  

Supplies you need for chickens are:  fencing, netting to go over the top of the cage so hawks don't get them, feed and water, things to hold the feed and water.  
We are going to keep our chickens fenced in because we have a dog who might want to play with them.  Also we want them to get used to laying in their egg boxes to lay eggs.  We also have racoons that would eat the chickens and eggs if we let them roam around. 

11 comments:

  1. Daniel, this is an awesome blog. I live in town in Hornell so I don't have any chickens, but I too love them. My friend Sanna lives in the country and she has a really cool chicken coop for her chickens, ducks and geese. This video you posted was really cool too. When you get your chicks in April, please put pictures of them on here. I would love to see them. Talk to you later. Carole Vance-Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danie -- do you know what the name means?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danny! This is great! I am very happy that you are writing your own blog. We'll look forward to reading your future posts! God bless you, dear, young friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I have always wanted chickens. Mr. DeJonge raised lots of chickens when he was a boy, growing up in New Jersey. Can't wait to see your pictures and read the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of your work creating this blog! It is tremendous-maybe you could stop in and show me how you do it sometime!

    ReplyDelete